MassHousing Mortgage Programs FAQs
Q. Who is MassHousing?
MassHousing is an independent, quasi-public agency created in 1966 and charged with providing financing for affordable housing in Massachusetts. We are committed to "mission-driven lending," and one of our objectives is to get more Massachusetts residents into homes of their own.
Q. What services or products does MassHousing provide?
MassHousing has various programs that may be able to help you buy a 1-4 family home or condominium in Massachusetts including:
- Low-cost first mortgage loans
- Down payment assistance
- MassHousing Mortgage with No Mortgage Insurance
Please note that program income limits apply, and a homebuyer education program may be required.
Q. What are the qualifications for MassHousing programs?
Households within the Area Median Income (AMI) limits may be eligible for MassHousing programs. Each year the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) calculates the median income for every metropolitan area in the country. The AMI is the income at the midpoint between poorest and wealthiest household in the region being measured. MassHousing programs are designed to offer households within the AMI limits an opportunity for home ownership that might not otherwise be available.
Q. What are some of the benefits of MassHousing Programs?
A few of the features of MassHousing programs are:
• Fixed interest rate mortgages for purchases or refinances.
• Low down payment requirements and down payment assistance available for qualified borrowers.*
• Our loans come with job-loss protection insurance at no additional cost.
* To be eligible for down payment assistance, borrowers must be first time buyers. Income limits apply and vary by region. Income limits can be viewed at www.masshousing.com/limits. Other eligibility criteria apply. Down payment assistance available on 1-4 family homes, condos and Planned Unit Developments (PUDs).
MassHousing Mortgage Programs are subject to credit approval.
For more information about programs offered through Enterprise Bank, including MassHousing Programs, please visit www.enterprisebanking.com/personal/loans/mortgage.
For more information on MassHousing, please visit www.MassHousing.com.